Sunday 30 September 2007

Back in the Kitchen

Well it’s Sunday and I’m back sitting in the kitchen back in Wiltshire once again Gillie gently snoring on the couch (route marching with Grandma does take it out of a dog).
Before you get to hear about William and Cath I would just like to say a big thank you to the nurses there will be other thank yous later (including one to Grandma Curtis who probably already has the Iron out although I only dropped William’s and Cath’s washing off with her at 8.00 (its now 10.49)) (these brackets are catching). Today there were only three nurses running the ward, here come some more brackets (normally five nurses plus students and health care assistants) and they did a great job, as all the children on Fox need a lot of care throughout their treatments as well as their parents who the nurses also support (when things are bad try stopping them force feeding you cups of tea). I promise no more brackets its getting beyond a joke. I would also like to praise the Gentleman and he is a gentleman who cleans Fox ward during the week he take pride in his work and always has away of raising a smile with the children and he could teach the female cleaners a thing or two starting with how a mop works.
Right today well I arrive nice and early as I stayed in the Parent’s Hotel across the street to find both William and Cath asleep. Normally we would be finishing breakfast on a Sunday by 7.20 so to find both of them asleep was a little bit of a shock. I walked down to Starbucks and brought coffees and return to find Cath awake ready to report on the night, William had slept through the night but had called out in pain in his sleep throughout. William came too around eight o’clock and whilst sitting on mummy leaked all over her and himself and the bed. So Cath jumped in the shower and I did my best to clean up. Next to come was weighing so a striped William was guided to the scales with his shadow better know as his pump stand as he still had four hours to go on his milk feed. Then the floor and scales where a different colour as what was going down his N G tube was coming straight out the other end. The poor boy has been into double figures with nappy changes today and this has taken it out of him between sleeping he has spent a lot of time on laps working his way through his DVD collection. While Cath was out taking the London air the Doctor came round and checked William’s rash, which is no worst or better. The Doctor has written William up for some I V fluids to replace what his body has expelled today. As you would expect he has had little interest in food today but we did have breakfast with mummy on one side of the window and William on his side, which he seemed to enjoy although he only managed two bites of toast (we can not eat in the room, sorry for the brackets). Avery sleepy boy was bathed early and in his cot ready to be hooked up to his pump stand once again. Hopefully he will have a little more energy with the return of Grandma Battam tomorrow for the day.
Thank you time I would like to thank everyone who keep sending us messages via the blog and the post (William’s current Address is Master W. Curtis, Fox Ward, Level 5, Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital, Great Ormond street, London. WC1N 3JH. U.K.). I would like to thank also those behind the scenes like my parents who are looking after Gillie while I am in London, Andy for once again getting our car though it’s MOT and Uncle Nick for getting the company he works for to support Jeans for Genes day. What is Jeans for Genes day I hear you cry well it’s your chance to be a Hero “Denimise the cheer leader and save someone’s world” or you could pay to wear your jeans to work or school on Friday what ever works for you. Thank you too all those filling Cath’s social diary with lunches, it keeps her from under my feet at the weekends. Also I must thank Cath’s parents for spending Nick’s inheritance on train fares and hotels when I can’t be there. (Final brackets, please forgive poor spelling and grammer it’s my West Country Genes coming though and my Editer is in London.).
Normal service will return with Cath soon

No comments: