Friday 7 December 2007

Last post from the Fox! (probably)

Monday pm +67 (although it feels like forever sometimes!)
Had a delightful lunch with Di, I ate my body weight in spaghetti! William is still much the same, although no replacement fluids cos of the puffiness so a bit more time off his lines which he seemed to enjoy (a whole 4 hours!). He has been drinking a lot again so they are testing urine for some stuff. Our exciting advent calender is growing, we are sticking a (wipe clean or washable!!!!) bauble a day to the window (that is the wall to the corridor to share our festive cheer) with clever suction pads in the shape of a Christmas tree (well actually more of a triangle at the moment) but if we need to stick up all 25 it will look nice, although nicer on our patio doors at home me thinks. There are now baubles hanging from the ceiling in the corridor which look really nice, I think the infection control team may also be the decoration taste police and have banned some of the more gaudy tinsel and garlands that I spied in the box!!!! Rob has headed off now and left me with a can of gin and tonic which has boosted my flagging spirits (pardon the pun)…maybe this is the way to get through this?!!

Tuesday +68 Wednesday +69 and Thursday +70Most of Tuesday was spent waiting for the Consultant who pitched up late afternoon with not much exciting to report. I went out for a superb burger in the evening with Ruth and Phillip who came laden with laundry and Christmas baubles which was lovely. Wednesday Dad and Nick joined me for lunch with was also scrummy. I can’t believe how much I have eaten out of late, fancy myself as a bit of a restaurant critic now! We found out today (Thursday) that there were no signs of GVH from William’s biopsy results from his endoscopy and colonoscopy. That’s good news and means that the virus is the major factor in the diarrhoea. They have reduced his steroids a bit (and will reduce them a bit more) as a result to help his new marrow release some T cells which should fight the virus (and hopefully not the rest of him). They will also give him a higher dose of weekly, rather than 3 weekly, antibodies to help reinforce the troops. They have sent off lots of lovely samples to find out more about his poo! Yesterday he drank gallons of dioralyte (his new favourite drink (glad I don’t have to drink it, it’s yukky) even flavoured with blackcurrant) and puffed up a bit and they also had to give him extra fluids to correct a wonky blood gas, today he is self correcting and has hardly drunk anything but I have changed more nappies today than any day that I can remember (whilst my memory is not that good, I’m sure that the increase in nappies is not a good sign, they have also turned a funny shade of green, hmm). He has had a very jolly couple of days though, the music lady came back and he enjoyed playing the cymbal. His spirits have been higher than for a while too and he is being a bit naughty too (I have discussed his burgeoning ‘behavioural issues’ with professionals!!!). As Rob has already published we are moving to Robin ward at the weekend with the pluses and minuses that this change brings. At least it means I have excellent reason not to attend upcoming Fox parent’s meeting to discuss virus issues and cleaning and stuff, hoorah! We have had a couple of disturbed nights (just the usual comings and goings really but sometimes they make more impact than at other times) hence ramblings are bundled together due to necessity of sleep in the earlier evenings.

No comments: